Electrolysis is a permanent hair removal treatment for all hair colours.
Electrolysis is a safe and effective hair removal treatment involving the destruction of the hair follicle, resulting in permanent hair removal. A fine probe is inserted into each hair follicle one by one, while at the same time, a direct current is administered. This current causes a heat reaction in the hair follicle tissue, which causes damage to the follicle (thermolysis), preventing further hair growth.
Unlike IPL and Laser treatments, Electrolysis does not rely on pigmented hair for the treatment to work. Therefore, Electrolysis is effectively used to treat any hair colour, including red, blonde, grey, and white coloured hair.
Hair Growth Cycles and Treatment Plans
To achieve the most effective outcome from your Electrolysis treatment, the hairs need to be actively growing. This will allow the hair to be identified and the probe to be correctly inserted into the follicle. Hence, it is necessary to wait for all growth cycles to appear. As only a portion of the hairs are visible at any one time, treatments can range from 6 - 18 months to complete the removal of all hairs from an area.
When determining your treatment plan, it is essential to remember that everyone has a different hair growth pattern and cycle; this is also relevant to the treated area. If you have been removing hair by tweezing, waxing, or threading, you will have interrupted the natural growth cycle. If you have had laser hair reduction within the last 12 months, you may experience prolonged sporadic regrowth of hair as the laser can "shock" the follicle into the resting phase for a more extended period than would typically be seen.
How many treatments will you need?
Due to the intricate process of inserting the probe in each follicle, the treatment is very time-consuming, and a series of treatments will be required to achieve the ideal outcome.
The good news is that most of the hair will grow through within the first 3 to 6 months for most areas. Therefore, you will most likely need more extended and frequent sessions at the beginning of your treatment plan, reducing to infrequent, short sessions by the end of your treatment plan.
During your initial consultation, we will gather a history of the types of methods you have used for hair removal in the past, assess your skin and hair, and discuss your options regarding a treatment plan.
The treatment plan will be designed to work around your lifestyle and budget.
How often will I need to have treatments?
Treatment plans vary from client to client, depending on the hair growth and the treatment area. In most cases, one treatment per week is ideal; however, we may recommend treatments are performed more or less frequently depending on your hair growth cycle. You must follow the treatment plan provided for best results.
- 5 minute session - $ 35 - Ideal for a few hairs.
- 15 minute session - $ 65 - Ideal for maintenance.
- 30 minute session - $ 95 - Recommended for first time clients
- 60 minute session - $150 - Recommended for larger treatment areas - full chin + lip, bikini line, underarms.
Pre-Pay & Save
- 3 x 15 minute sessions - $175 (save $20)
- 3 x 30 minute sessions - $255 (save $30)
- Avoid excessive sun exposure before your treatment.
- Avoid shaving at least 5-7 days before the first treatment.
- Avoid waxing/tweezing for 2-3 weeks prior. Once treatments begin, discontinue shaving, waxing, and epilation in the treatment area.
- Gently exfoliate the area before treatment to remove any dead skin cells to allow the hair follicles to be more accessible.
- Before the appointment, ensure the area is clean, free of makeup, lotions, or creams. If the treatment area is on the body, wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes if possible.
- Ensure you are hydrated, drink plenty of water before your appointment to improve results.
- Keep the area clean and moisturised to aid in the recovery process. You will be advised of the best aftercare products to use during your consultation.
- For the first 24 hours post-treatment, avoid applying any irritants to the treatment area, such as non-mineral makeup, perfume, and fragranced lotions.
- Avoid any heat-based treatments and activities that may cause sweating or irritation (e.g., exercise, saunas, hot showers, swimming) for at least 24 hours.
- Protect treatment areas with SPF to reduce the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation or other adverse events.
What can you expect Post-Treatment
- Local erythema (redness) and follicular edema (mild swelling) can last one to two days post-treatment.
- Small scabs can form post-treatment; it is essential not to pick these scabs. Allow them to heal; picking can cause scarring or lead to bacterial infections.
- If you have any concerns about healing or experiencing an adverse event, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Noosa Skin Studio.
Electrolysis is not suitable for the following conditions:
If you are experiencing any of the following conditions, we will not perform an Electrolysis treatment.
- Blood Thinning Medication
- History of Keloid Scarring
- Pregnancy (1st Trimester)
- Active Rosacea (in the treatment area)
- Active herpes/cold sores (in the treatment area)
- Sunburn (in the treatment area)
- Recent use of depilatory creams, waxing or epilation (in the treatment area)- Will need to wait two weeks
- Undergoing chemotherapy or immunotherapy, or someone who is immunosuppressed.